:phunk is a contemporary art and design collective based in Singapore.
Alvin Tan (b. 1974), Melvin Chee (b. 1974), Jackson Tan (b. 1974) and William Chan (b. 1973) are 4 Singaporean artists/designers. They met in LASALLE College of the Arts, Singapore and came together in 1994 to form :phunk.
Described as "The Champion of Singapore's Graphic Scene" (Creative Review, UK), "Asia's hottest agency" (Computer Arts, UK), "one of the world's foremost cutting-edge design collectives" (Asia Tatler, Hong Kong) and "iconic representatives of the new wave of young Asian creators" (Get it Louder, China).
They have propagated a visual signature that seamlessly blends and reinterprets their diverse influences such as traditional Chinese craft, philosophy and folklore, Hong Kong wuxia pulp fiction, Japanese manga and otaku subculture, Western popular culture, art and design movements into a singular creative thought that reflects their multi-cultural identity, background and environment.
Labeled "Creators of modern urban mythological tales" (Chinese Contemporary Art News, Taiwan), :phunk has created a visual universe densely populated by ancient gods and modern creatures, to depict universal tales social satire, humanity morality, rock n' roll ethos, contemporary culture and :phunk's unique witty sense of humor. The concept of 'universality' in the age of modern globalization is a constant theme in their works.
They constantly challenge the conventional notion and definition of the 'artist' and 'commercial design studio' by constantly blurring the boundaries between both, mixing Neo Pop Art ideology with Post-Modernist design sensibilities. Their cross-disciplinary approach is best described as "an aesthetic collective consciousness" focused on experimenting with new approaches to visual expressions. Their expansive scope of projects spans across art, design, publishing, fashion, music, film and interactive.
Their works are featured in many international publications and awarded in various design award shows. One of their artworks titled 'ELECTRICITY ' was cited in the book, 'Graphic Design, A New History' as "Instances of truly global graphic design". They were awarded 'Designer of the Year' in 2007 by the President's Design Award, the highest accolade for designers in Singapore.
They have exhibited and lectured extensively around the world. They launched their solo artist exhibition abroad, 'Universality' at the Museum of Contemporary Art, Taipei in 2007. They represented Singapore at the Gwangju Design Biennale 2005 and the London Design Festival 2006. The Singapore History Museum hosted their 10 year retrospective exhibition 'A Decade of Decadence' in 2005.
Starting by their first solo exhibition in Japan taking place at DIESEL DENIM GALLERY AOYAMA, they are going to have two collaborative exhibitions with Keiichi Tanaami, the psychedelic master of Japanese art scene, held in Singapore in August and October.
- ･ Around The World / Across The Universe, Vallery, Barcelona, Spain
- ･ New World, Art Seasons, Singapore
- ･ New World, Art Seasons, Beijing, China
- ･ KIAF Korea International Art Fair 2008, Seoul, Korea
- ･ Universe II, Gallery J Chen, Taipei, Taiwan
- ･ Universe I, Art Seasons, Singapore
- ･ Universality, Museum of Contemporary Art, Taipei, Taiwan
- ･ Decade of Decadence, Singapore History Museum, Singapore
- ･ Baroqracy, Pixie Gallery, Taipei
- ･ Baroqracy II, Tuami, Ecuador
- ･ Control Chaos IV, OFFF, Valencia
- ･ Control Chaos III, Our Spot Gallery, Sydney, Australia
- ･ Control Chaos II, :b Gallery, Singapore
- ･ Control Chaos, The Reed Space, New York
- ･ You West I East, Shenzhen Fine Art Museum, China
- ･ Animamix Biennial 2009-10, Metaphors of Un/Real, MoCA Shanghai, China
- ･ OH! Open House, Singapore
- ･ ARTSingapore, Singapore
- ･ Self-Portraits, CircleCulture Gallery, Berlin, Germany
- ･ Beyond Comfort, Art Seasons, Lakeside Zurich, Switzerland
- ･ ArtHK Fair, Hong Kong
- ･ Art Fair Tokyo @ TOKIA, Tokyo, Japan
- ･ BMW Young Asian Artists Series II: The Singapore Edition, STPI, Singapore
- ･ ACAF NY 2008, New York, USA
- ･ No Comply 2008 Skateboard Art Exhibition, No Vacancy Gallery, Melbourne, Australia
- ･ Panos 2013, Lyon, France
- ･ ARTSingapore, Singapore
- ･ New Wave, CCC (Creative Centre of Communications), Shizuoka, Japan
- ･ SHcontemporary, Shanghai, China
- ･ 8Q-Rate : School, 8Q, Singapore Art Museum, Singapore
- ･ Tokyo.Ten Exhibition. Claska Gallery, Tokyo, Japan
- ･ GDFB (Graphic Design Festival Breda), Netherlands
- ･ Dual City Sessions: Art with Sound, Berlin, Germany
- ･ Power of One Charity exhibition, Hong Kong
- ･ Shizuoka Content Valley Festival,CCC (Creative Centre of Communications), Shizuoka, Japan
- ･ Art Cologne, Cologne, Germany
- ･ Animamix Biennale: From Modernity to Eternity, MoCA Shanghai, China
- ･ Todays Art Festival 2007, The Hague, Netherlands
- ･ Celebrating 50 years of Helvetica, Design Museum, London, U.K
- ･ Young Talents, Art Cologne, Cologne, Germany
- ･ Massive Territory, Gallery National Indonesia, Jakarta, Indonesia
- ･ London Design Festival, Lodon, U.K, 2006
- ･ Tokyo Designer's Week,Tokyo, Japan
- ･ Secret House, HITEC, Hong Kong
- ･ "untitled" - Documents Of Street Culture,traveling show, BBB, Barcelona; BBB, Berlin, Germany
- ･ 20/20 Singapore Design Movement, London Design Festival, London
- ･ Gwangju Design Biennale,Gwangju, Korea
- ･ Get it Louder, Shanghai, China
- ･ Place, Museu Valencia de la Il.Ilustracio i La Modernitat, Valencia
- ･ Pictoplasma "Characters at War!", Zentralbuero, Berlin
- ･ Fascination, Singapore Art Museum, Singapore
- ･ Made In Singapore, Art Seasons, Singapore
- ･ We Love Utopia, Magma Gallery, London